Saturday, October 20, 2007

Storage of Fresh Herbs

I love to make use of fresh herbs in my cooking as it enhances the taste. However, you usually find them in big bunches at the supermarket and tend to use only a small portion. This method will help to avoid wastages and preserve the herbs for approximately a week.

I've been wanting to have my mini herb garden in the kitchen and been sourcing for small herb pots. Made several trips to the local nurseries in the Thomson area, like Far East Flora and was unable to find my fave parsley and oregano. Looks like I have to stick to this storage method for the time being..

1. Wash herbs in cold water and remove dead leaves and stems. Snip off the ends.

2. Gently pat dry.

3. Place stems in a water filled container. (Avoid not to submerge the leaves)

4. Cover with a plastic bag or cling wrap.

5. Place in a refrigerator and change the water if it turns murky.

No comments: